Monday, June 26, 2006

Ejected!

Berkman and Garner both got ejected from the game against Detroit tonight. Berkman was livid. He really is one of the nicest guys and doesn't get mad very easily. That ump pushed his buttons real good. Garner just got thrown out because he was trying to, as support to Berkman. Cruz did a good job of stepping in between the argument so Lance didn't get himself into even more trouble. Then after Garner got thrown out, he threw a chair in the dugout. A lot of people are scolding him for that move. Whatever. I think the umps were a little "Detroit" sided tonight anyway. Not the home plate ump so much but the first base ump for sure (and I heard tomorrow he is behind the plate). He called a strike on a checked swing if it was Houston batting and he always made close calls at first in favor of Detroit. It was getting kind of obvious to me. In fact, I had this horrible feeling come over me as I watched the game. Maybe, sometimes, the games are rigged. Do you think that can happen? I certainly hope not.

Not since the White Sox threw the World Series over 80 years ago has the subject been brought up but maybe umps can be bought out too. I have never supported instant replay in the major leagues as argued calls are part of the game, but I am beginning to think that umpires need to have some accountability too. They have been making some horrible calls and it is all over. It is a shame because most of them are honest, hard working guys that just love baseball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home